Thursday, May 1, 2008

May 2, 2008

Establishing Godly Standards for My Family

Read the Bible through:
AM –
2 Samuel 7-8 : PM – Luke 12:13-14

Allegiance to God
Joshua 24:15

15 "And if it seems evil to you to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."

Good intentions can mean nothing if I haven’t first pledged allegiance to God only. To settle the issue of devotion is to establish the bottom line. Such allegiance is a matter of the heart.

Joshua challenged the Israelites to set their hearts right by saying “As for me and my house.” And that generation demonstrated allegiance to God as long as Joshua lived and until the elders who outlived Joshua died.

But did the next generation? And the next? History reveals they did not remain faithful to God.

What happened in passing allegiance to future generations? They didn’t get the message – or they ignored it. How scary when one generation drops the ball.

Dear Lord, what an awesome responsibility to have children who have children who have children. May those who come behind me be found faithful.