Monday, May 12, 2008

May 12, 2008

Giving Unselfishly to God’s Work

Read the Bible through:
AM –
1 Kings 3-4 : PM – Luke 17:20-37

First Giving Ourselves
2 Corinthians 8:1-5

5 “And not only as we had hoped, but they first gave themselves to the Lord, and then to us by the will of God.”


A nine-year old boy, Tommy, was saved during the week I was preaching evangelistic messages in Texas. The last day, Sunday, Tommy waited until almost everyone had left and presented me with an envelope carefully folded and taped. He had emptied his piggy bank in order to express his love to me for helping him find the Lord. When I protested, his mother said: “You’ve got to take it. He’s looked forward to giving it to you all day.”

Most of us, when we were first saved, wanted to share Jesus with anyone who would listen. And like the people at Corinth, we were eager to give ourselves to the Lord’s work wherever there was a need because love enjoys giving.

Do you still experience overwhelming joy when you unselfishly give to the Lord and to others?

Lord, I am so bombarded with other’s needs that I tend to forget my family. Help me to be sensitive to their needs.