Tuesday, May 6, 2008

May 7, 2008

Making peace in My Family

Read the Bible through:
AM –
2 Samuel 17-18 : PM – Luke 14:25-35

Acting Unselfishly
Genesis 13:5-9

8 So Abram said to Lot, "Please let there be no strife between you and me, and between my herdsmen and your herdsmen; for we are brethren.

The death of a family member is always a difficult time, especially when there are money and possessions to be distributed. Many times what should be time when families come together ends in jealousy and disagreement, resulting in long term hurt feelings.

Lot and his Uncle Abram had moved into an area that was already populated. This created competition for available land. Strife was occurring between the herdsmen. Abram didn’t want there to be dissention between the two families. He not only recognized the problem, he proposed a solution to their dilemma and offered Lot first choice of land. Abram put his brethren’s family ahead of his own and at the same time demonstrated his faith in God.

Have you faced family arguments over possessions? Ask yourself whether your behavior resembles Abram’s or if you are seeking your own selfish gain.

Lord, help me to have an unselfish heart like Abram’s. Help me to do all I can to keep peace within my family.