Wednesday, May 28, 2008

May 29, 2008

Evangelizing the Lost

Read the Bible through:
AM –
2 Kings 16-17 : PM – John 1:1-18

Preaching the Gospel
Romans 10:14-15

15
"How shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: ‘How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, who bring glad tidings of good things!’”


I only saw Allen Davis once in my life. It was in a junior high school auditorium in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He was playing his trumpet and preaching a sermon aimed directly at junior high students. I can only remember one thing he said. He quoted Psalm 119:11 – “Thy Word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against thee.” That verse brought conviction to my heart because I had memorized many verses, not to keep me from sin but to make fun of and mock the Christians in our school. Allen Davis occupies a special place in my heart. He was the one God used to get through to a fifteen year old boy with the “gospel of peace.”

We are bombarded with messages these days. Some of them are good news, but many are not. What a blessing, in the midst of all the things competing for our attention, to hear one telling us the glorious gospel story!

Father, thank you for those who still tell the wonderful gospel story.