Sunday, November 4, 2007

November 5

Everyone Needs Salvation

From Dishonoring God
Romans 2:17-24

Read the Bible through:
AM –
Ezekiel 1-2 : PM – Philemon

You who make your boast in the law, do you dishonor God through breaking the law?
(Rom. 2:23).

When I was growing up, my mother would often caution me as I left our house, “Remember who you are.” It was her code for reminding me I was representing our family –in the activities in which I engaged, in the words I spoke, and in the character I displayed.

Paul was eager for Christians to exemplify Jesus Christ in ways that would bring honor to His name. In practice, Jews were not willing to offer help to Gentiles. This carried over to those Jews who professed Christ. Such rigidity and lack of mercy brought them a poor reputation with the world. That reputation was seen as representative of God.

Paul’s question was blunt. He forthrightly asked, “” (Matt. 22:37-40). Refusal to be merciful to others broke that law.

Today would be a good time to contemplate how well each of us is doing in remembering “Whose we are.”

Father, my desire is to honor You every day.