Wednesday, November 7, 2007

November 7

Everyone Needs Salvation

No Salvation by Works
Romans 3:19-20

Read the Bible through:
AM –
Ezekiel 8-10 : PM – Hebrews 3

Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin
(Rom. 3:20).

Paul indicated in Galatians 3:24 that the law served as a “schoolmaster” to bring people to Christ. James 2:10 asserts that if his readers had tried to live by the law “yet offend in one point’ they were guilty of breaking all law. The law did not provide the Jews with salvation; it only revealed their need for it.

When the speed limit sign says 35 and my speedometer reads 50, I know I have broken a civil law. When I break one of God’s commandments, I face the truth. I have sinned. The law reveals my sin. I am not “justified in his sight.” And I have no works to offer God that will redeem my disobedience or earn salvation for me. Prayer, giving, or a multitude of good works will not merit God’s grace or assure me of salvation. But the good news is Jesus died to make available to me the righteousness of God. I cannot earn it, but I can receive it by believing in Him.

God, help me remember my salvation is a gift, and Jesus is the giver.