Sunday, October 21, 2007

October 22

Creating a Distinctive People

Responsible toward others
Exodus 20:12-17

Read the Bible through:
AM -
Jeremiah 39-41 : PM - 2 Thessalonians 3

Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the LORD your God is giving you

Shea walked into her boss's office with tears in her eyes. "This is not a hard decision for me," she said, "but it is difficult. My father is sick, and I must take a leave from work to take care of him. I don't know what that will do to my career, but I have to take care of my father.

That devotion to a parent was just one visible sign of the way Shea lives responsibly toward others. Not only did she take the time from work to care for her father, she arranged her work before she left in such a way that the impact on fellow employees who had to pick up her work would be as minimal as possible.

From God's perspective it seems obvious that if we're going to live right with other people it starts at home. A child who respects and honors parents is on the road to treating others with God-honoring respect.

Lord, may You be honored in all my relationships today.