Saturday, October 20, 2007

October 21

Creating a Distinctive People

Responsible toward God
Exodus 20:7-10a

Read the Bible through:
AM -
Jeremiah 37-38 : PM - 2 Thessalonians 2

You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain
(Exodus 20:7).

I can still recall the taste of soap in my mouth when my mother overheard something that shouldn't have been in my mouth to start with. I am not sure where the practice originated, but it certainly made its point. What I failed to realize at the time was how the vile residue of such language could so mar one's total life.

One way we maintain a right relationship with God is through an attitude of life that recognizes His holiness is something worthy of respect and honor. To treat His name lightly, or with a curse, is to cheapen Him n the eyes of people who need to know Him as the great God, worthy of all our praise and honor.

God's Word teaches us that just as a spring cannot produce both sweet and salty water, neither can a mouth contain both blessings and curses. The one who lives responsibly toward God does so in both word and deed.

Lord, may the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing to You today.