Wednesday, October 17, 2007

October 18

Creating a Distinctive People

Obedience required
Exodus 19:4-5

Read the Bible through:
AM -
Jeremiah 32 : PM - 1 Thessalonians 4

Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine
(Exodus 19:5).

"Because I said so!" When I was younger, I promised myself I would never utter those words to my children. Oh, how soon such promises are broken when dealing with your own children. I opened my mouth, and out came those words demanding unquestioning obedience.

God wants our obedience; and because all the earth is the Lord's, I believe that means he can have whatever He wants. It's all His for the taking. But our God is not a taking God, is He? He's a giving God. He desires to give us His best for our lives by making us His own.

What does He require from us in this peculiar arrangement by which we become His? His desire is not for lifeless slaves bound to a checklist approach to righteousness. God is seeking those who respond to Him with willing sprits, anxious to carry out His every command.

Direct my path today, O Lord.