Monday, October 13, 2008

October 14, 2008

The Bible: The Family’s Source of Instruction

Read the Bible through:
AM –
Jeremiah 26 : PM – Colossians 4

The Word to Be Preached
2 Timothy 4:2

2 “Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.”


I preached my first sermon when I was 16 years old. That was 45 years ago! I wish I could remember other things as well as I do that day! Now, these many years later, I can’t stop wanting to preach.

That is the way it should be with each Christian, pulpit or no pulpit. We all have a message to share with others. My call was to declare it in sermons, devotionals, and in personal witnessing. Most other people are called instead to share the gospel in witnessing opportunities outside the pulpit. Such calls are as vital as any minister’s. They may even be more difficult.

Paul told Timothy to declare the gospel both when it was easy to do so and when it was hard. Sharing it sometimes called for warning others about their need for Christ, and sometimes it meant encouraging them about God’s love. Those instructions apply to us all. Sharing the gospel is every Christian’s responsibility.

Thank You, Lord, for trusting me to be one of your witnesses.