Thursday, August 9, 2007

August 10

Human Beings: Why Get Personal?

Because God created us
Genesis 2:4-6

Read the Bible through:
AM -
Psalm 78-80 : PM - Romans 1:18-32

The Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul
(Gen. 2:7).

About 38 years ago, I built a couple of bookcases. I drew up the plans and included features that would limit warping and sagging. I put it together with screws that would not work loose. I handpicked, cut, sanded, and assembled the boards. After I applied a stain and wax, the bookcase was exactly what I wanted.

I have other bookcases, some of them precious because I inherited them from family members. None of them, however, mean as much to me as the one I made. That bookcase stands today as the crown of my woodworking creativity.

The crown of God's creative work is humanity. The biblical description of this creative act is distinctive. It includes a warm, close, personal, hands-on touch not evident in the other creative acts - God "formed" a man using dust; God "breathed into his nostrils the breath of life." Such care by our Creator signals how precious and significant we are to Him.

Heavenly Father, thank You that I matter to You.