Sunday, July 6, 2008

June7, 2008

Good News! No Longer Under the Law

Read the Bible through:
AM –
Nehemiah 4-6 : PM – Acts 6

RECEIVING THE SPIRIT BY FAITH
Galatians 3:1-6

2
"This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?"


The familiar words of the hymn “Just As I Am” make clear that the only way anyone can come to the Lord is as a sinner relying on God’s grace. When we receive Christ by faith, His Spirit comes into our lives.

A seriously ill pastor asked himself, “On what basis do I hope, to be accepted when I meet the Lord?” He realized he would come into the presence of God just as he had first come to Him – as a sinner relying on God’s grace.

Some of the Galatian believers were tempted to turn from reliance on God’s grace to keeping the works of the Law. Paul asked them to recall how they first received the Spirit of God. Why were they changing from reliance on God’s grace to reliance on their own merit? Christians can ask, “On what did I trust when I was saved? Is my reliance still the same?

Father, help me not to turn from reliance on Your grace to a reliance on my own merit.