Monday, July 21, 2008

July 21, 2008

Good News: Controlled by the Spirit

Read the Bible through:
AM –
Job 25-28 : PM – Acts 16:1-15

MINDING THE THINGS OF THE SPIRIT
Romans 8:3-5

5
"For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit."

What controls our behavior? Driving to a youth camp late one night on a dark winding road, I found myself thinking negative scenarios about my possible fate. The more anxious I felt, the faster I drove to reach my destination. My negative thinking led to some very irresponsible driving.

Our thoughts impact our lifestyles. Paul was not merely encouraging his readers to think positively or give a cursory glance at the Spirit. He was admonishing Christians to diligently and habitually think about the characteristics of the Holy Spirit. We should set our minds on the Spirit, dwelling on His nature, and allow His character to permeate the deepest recesses of our thinking.

On what does your mind dwell? Contemplate the Spirit, and you’ll behave like the Spirit.

Lord, as I set my mind on You, please conform my behavior to that of Jesus.