Friday, June 27, 2008

June 28, 2008

Worshiping God

Read the Bible through:
AM –
2 Chronicles 32 : PM – John 20:1-18

WITH ANGLES
Revelation 5:11-12

11 “
Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne, the living creatures, and the elders; and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands"


When I was a child, my grandmother Nantz had a framed picture of a young boy and girl walking across a crude footbridge. As I recall, several slats were missing. A ravine stretched below. One could sense immediately the impending danger. However, the artist had painted the figure of an angel just above the children. The angel’s outstretched arms suggested unseen protection. That picture was my first remembered encounter with the idea of angels. The Bible furnishes me with my last picture of angels – thousands of angels, all engaged in heavenly worship.

Each Sunday that our congregation sings the traditional “Doxology,” we call on all creatures “here below” and all “heavenly host” above to join in praising God. Our worship can be heightened when we envision that angels are in heaven doing simultaneously what we are doing on earth.

Father, in concert with angels I worship You.