Wednesday, June 11, 2008

June 12, 2008

Ministering to Needs

Read the Bible through:
AM –
1 Chronicles 22-24 : PM – John 8:1-11

With Fervent Charity
1 Peter 4:8-9

8
“And above all things have fervent love for one another, for love will cover a multitude of sins.”

Focusing on the young minister’s grammatical errors, I found myself writing sermon notes that were more a report card than a summary of what God was saying to me. Leaving church, I felt empty and strangely guilty. I overheard a woman talking about how the minister had inspired her by his unique insights. Insights? What insights? I thought.

After pondering, I realized I had been so busy checking for dangling participles that I had missed the most important message of the sermon. God loved this young minister fervently and had chosen to use him as His vessel to reach others. I was listening with ears of clanging brass instead of ears filtered with love. God’s love does cover a multitude of sins, even my own. Peter’s words challenge me to love my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ with a fervent love. God’s love enables us to judge others less and focus on His vision more.

Thank you, Lord, for fervently loving me and loving others through me.