Sunday, April 27, 2008

April 28, 2008

Establishing Godly Standards for My Family

Read the Bible through:
AM –
1 Samuel 30-31 : PM – Luke 11:1-13

Resistance to Temptation
Jeremiah 35:1-7

6 But they said, "We will drink no wine, for Jonadab the son of Rechab, our father, commanded us, saying, 'You shall drink no wine, you nor your sons, forever.’”



What made the Rechabites stand firm and refuse to drink wine? Apparently prior commitment to what was expected of them as Rechabites held them steady.

Regardless of the temptation, resisting boiled down to prior commitment. Jesus is our supreme example. Long before Satan’s attacks in the desert, Jesus’ mind was made up. Jesus had taken to heart His Father’s commands. Prior commitment held Him steady.

So it is with me. Prior commitment to reading God’s Word, studying, memorizing, then drawing on that great reservoir of strength equips me to resist, what ever form temptation takes. My challenge is to live up to God’s expectations of me.

What about you? What’s your strategy? No doubt, knowledge of God’s Word and commitment to His expectations hold you steady, too. If not, they can.

Heavenly Father, write Your Word on my heart and mind; so I can stand strong and live up to Your expectations.