Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April 2, 2008

The Light of the World

Read the Bible through:
AM –
Judges 4-5 : PM – Luke 1:26-38

Giving Sight to the Blind
John 9:11

11 "He answered and said, ‘A Man called Jesus made clay and anointed my eyes and said to me, 'Go to the pool of Siloam and wash.' So I went and washed, and I received sight.’”

It was budget appropriation time in the state senate. The chaplain, was invited to join the governor and senators for a dinner and special presentation given by the Arkansas School for the Blind. He marveled at the things the blind students did to entertain them. A thought, however, kept running through his mind. Without the loving influence of Jesus, no one would care a whit for these sight-impaired people. But the legislature was getting the credit for it.

He knew ultimately only Jesus can give sight. This is true, whether it is physical, as with the man born blind, or spiritual, as with those questioning him in order to trap Jesus. Sight is great; insight is greater. Jesus gives both.

Keep my eyes wide open today, Lord, that I may not only behold the beauty of Your wonderful world, but that I may not miss knowing who Your really are.