Thursday, April 10, 2008

April 10, 2008

The Good Shepheard

Read the Bible through:
AM –
Judges 19-20 : PM – Luke 4:1-13

Brings Sheep Together
John 10:14-16

16 “And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd”


Last year my wife and daughter had the opportunity to visit China. Sure, they enjoyed the tourist attractions; but their deepest impressions came from the talking with the Chinese. They found Chinese Christians united as one. Persecuted for decades, they had found most things that divide Christians relatively unimportant. Free again to worship openly, their joy was boundless.

Exclusiveness is hard to overcome. When I was young it was easy for us to exclude all who weren’t “our kind.” So it was with the Jewish religious leaders who “took up stones” against Jesus (John 10:31). They were God’s chosen people. How dare He declare God loved others! But that’s what He said: “And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd”
Our unity comes not because we are forced into this flock. Our unity comes when we hear the same voice and follow the same Shepherd.

Lord, help me to lead others into Your fold.