Tuesday, March 18, 2008

March 19, 2008

Praying for Protection

Read the Bible through:
AM –
Deut. 31-32 : PM – Mark 12:1-12

The Lord We Can Trust
Psalm 91:1-2

2
"I will say of the LORD, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust’

The national motto for the United States is “In God We Trust.” This motto has appeared on our coins since 1864. Congress voted to make the motto official in 1956. Isn’t it interesting that an anonymous psalmist expressed these same words of confidence in the Lord hundreds of years earlier?

The crisis that prompted the psalmist’s prayer for protection is not known, but the person praying must have understood that divine assistance was needed. Perhaps he had experienced God’s help in the midst of other dangers, or he knew by faith the Lord would carry him through the fears of life. The personal testimony of this psalmist is presented in verse 2. He needed a refuge for safety and a fortress for defense. Both needs are met through the Lord.

Do you really believe God is your shelter and protection and that you can rest in His shadow each day? If the answer is yes, then you know how to trust Him.

O God, I pray that I may trade my fears for trust in you.