Thursday, March 13, 2008

March 14, 2008

Praying That Focuses on God

Read the Bible through:
AM –
Deut. 18-20 : PM – Mark 10.1-16

His Mercy
Daniel 9:11-14

18 "O my God, incline Your ear and hear; open Your eyes and see our desolations, and the city which is called by Your name; for we do not present our supplications before You because of our righteous deeds, but because of Your great mercies”


What I deserved was a ticket. What I got was a merciful warning. My daughter had called to tell me the laundry room was flooded. As I explained my rush, the officer listened and seemed to sense my distress. I even asked if he could write the ticket in my driveway so I could turn off the main water valve outside my house. Soon I was on my way with only a warning to please slow down. What I deserved was a ticket. What I got was the gift of a merciful police officer.

What if God gave us what we deserved instead of the gift of mercy through His Son, Jesus Christ? What we deserve is the wages of our sin – death. What we get, instead, is the gift of eternal life from a merciful God.

Father, thank You for the gift of mercy that allows me to live in Your presence each day.