Tuesday, January 29, 2008

January 30, 2008

The Bible: Its Origins

Read the Bible through:
AM –
Exodus 22-23 PM – Matthew 17:1-13

Thus Says the Lord
Jeremiah 30:1-2

2"Thus speaks the LORD God of Israel, saying: 'Write in a book for yourself all the words that I have spoken to you."

“Because I said so!” Sometimes I heard those words from my parents after repeatedly questioning some instruction or decision they had made known to me. In essence, I needed to abide by their wishes if for no other reason than who they were. After all, they had authority over me, responsibility for me, and had proven they could be trusted to act in my best interest.

God spoke to Jeremiah, Write a book. This was not just any book. The content was to be nothing less – and nothing more for that matter – than what God had revealed. The message would have meaning and authority because it was Word from the Lord.

When we read the Bible, we are challenged, comforted, and convicted. We are informed, instructed, and inspired. The Word overwhelms us. It does so because as we read it through and through we hear this clarion affirmation: Thus says the Lord.

Thank You, Lord, for the Bible. I read it and obey it because I firmly believe it is Your Word.