Friday, January 11, 2008

Jan. 12, 2008

Read the Bible Through
AM -
Genesis 30-31 : PM - Matthew 7:15-29

PUT THAT ON MY ACCOUNT
Psalm 32:1-2

Blessed is the man to whom the LORD does not impute iniquity, And in whose spirit there is no deceit. (Psalm 32:2).

We don’t use the word “Impute” much any more. It literally means “to put on one’s account.”

When I enrolled in college I had no idea how I was going to pay my housing costs and tuition. At that time tuition and room and board cost about the same. I knew I was going to have to pay it all, but I had only saved up enough to pay for half of it. When I got to the registration line I found out that a Business Man in Tulsa had contacted the school and paid over $4,500. He paid my debt, the entire year of tuition and books and promised to pay the same each year if I would earn and keep a 3.5 grade average. His money was imputed to my account.

All my life I thought if ever I was going to dwell in heaven, I would have to deserve it. My life would have to be good enough. In other words, I would have to pay an admission price of good works to enter the door of heaven. I was amazed to learn that it’s no so! I don’t have to pay for it. Jesus already paid for it and I can have eternal life as a gift. That is the Gospel, the good news of the Christian faith: God offers heaven to us as a gift. Heaven is free to us because it was paid for by Christ.

Lord, thank you for imputing my sin debt onto your account