Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Nov. 13, 2008

Good News for All Cultures

Read the Bible through:
AM –
Ezekiel 19-20 : PM – Heb. 8

Of God’s Grace
Acts 11:22-24

23 When he came and had seen the grace of God, he was glad, and encouraged them all that with purpose of heart they should continue with the Lord.


My Baptist friend was completely confused when he attended services at my grand-mother’s Pentecostal church with me. Everyone prayed at once, some danced in the isles when the music played; and they stood, knelt, and sat at unpredictable times. The church service lasted two hours and we sang songs from shaped note hymn books.

Let me ask you a question. What did Barnabas see in the worship service at Antioch? The service was in Greek. Barnabas understood this language, but it was not his mother’s tongue. Did he see open faces filled with joy because of their hope in Christ? Did he see excited people who knew they had received the gift of eternal life through Jesus?

Barnabas saw something that convinced him he was seeing the grace of God. He saw evidence that indicated to him this was not simply a human phenomenon, but was something God was doing in peoples’ lives.

Lord, fill my heart and the hearts of my fellow church members with so much faith and joy that a visitor may see the grace of God in my church.