Thursday, September 4, 2008

September 5, 2008

AFFIRMING GOD’S WORTHINESS

Read the Bible through:
AM –
Eccl. 1-3 : PM – 1 Cor. 10

BY PRAISING GOD’S DELIVERANCE
Psalm 30:1-5

1
"I will extol You, O LORD, for You have lifted me up, And have not let my foes rejoice over me."

Some of us can think of things about politicians we don’t like. But there is one in the city where I live who makes me forget all the negative things because of the positive things he has done for me over the years, mostly by just being my friend.

The writer of this psalm had a greater friend than my politician friend. That friend was God Himself. The heading on this psalm indicated it was one of the psalms of David. Israel’s great king knew God was with him in good times and in bad times. And he experienced plenty of both.

The same can be said by each of God’s children. We often give praise to God for His blessings and His obvious presence during good times. We must not, however, lose sight of His presence in the difficult times when we would surely collapse with despair if He was not with us.

In our modern world we can provide almost everything we need for survival. We tend only to depend on God for the big things. At some point we must learn that only God can provide what we truly need.

Father, remind me of Your powerful presence in my difficult times.