Saturday, September 27, 2008

September 28, 2008

Making A Commitment

Read the Bible through:
AM –
Isaiah 58-60 : PM – Galatians 4

TO GOD ALONE
Joshua 23:14-16

16
“When you have transgressed the covenant of the LORD your God, which He commanded you, and have gone and served other gods, and bowed down to them, then the anger of the LORD will burn against you, and you shall perish quickly from the good land which He has given you.”

My brother-in-law asked me to lead a teenagers’ Bible Class when I was in college. However, only one family in church had a teenager. Since the key word was class, I couldn’t see how one teenager composed a group. So I told my brother-in-law I simply could not teach the Bible class.

“If you make a commitment to one person and keep it,” he said, “you can handle a group.”

During the week, I remembered his words. The following Sunday I proceeded as though several teenagers were in attendance, but I focused on my one learner. This continued for several months, and then gradually the class began to grow. Each week I made my vow to one person, believing the group would benefit. The person I made the commitment to was God.

Lord, help me to always focus on You.