Wednesday, September 3, 2008

September 4, 2008

AFFIRMING GOD’S WORTHINESS

Read the Bible through:
AM –
Pro. 30-31 : PM – 1 Cor. 9

BY ACCEPTING GOD’S PROVISION
John 6:47-51

51 "I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world."

Society teaches us from an early age that one of the goals of life is to become independent and self-reliant. I still recall the day my six-year-old rode her bicycle to school for the first time. She was so calm while her dad thought he would die with worry.

While we strive rightfully to be independent in many ways, we should always recognize God as the source of all that is good, including our salvation.

It was in the midst of this teaching about the need for total reliance on Jesus that many of the disciples decided such a commitment was too difficult. They stopped being disciples.

In our modern world we can provide almost everything we need for survival. We tend only to depend on God for the big things. At some point we must learn that only God can provide what we truly need.

Father, remind me every worthwhile thing in my life has come from Your loving hand.