Wednesday, February 27, 2008

February 28, 2008

Praying that Pleases God

Read the Bible through:
AM –
Numbers 19-21 : PM – Mark 4

A Call for Blessing
1 Chronicles 4:10

10
“And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, ‘Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!" So God granted him what he requested’"

This prayer is one of many scriptural prayer models. Those varied patterns are our helpful guides as we approach God with changing needs and as we ask for the Lord’s blessing upon our lives and ministries.

Beyond this verse, Psalm 8 is a treasure of patterns to follow as we prayerfully praise God for His glory. When our hearts ache with guilt, Psalm 51 gives us models we can follow to confess our sins to God. When we are concerned about our own and others’ spiritual needs, Ephesians 3:14-19 provides us a pattern to follow in expressing those concerns. Many other such scriptural patterns are available.

The Model Prayer of Jesus (Matt. 6:9-13), of course, gives us the perfect pattern for our prayer life generally.

Lord, please give me help in Your Word as I seek to express my needs and desires to you daily.