Thursday, September 27, 2007

September 28

God Provides for His People

Nurturing tenderly
1 Kings 19:4-7

Read the Bible through:
AM -
Isaiah 58-6 : PM - Galatians 4

Then as he lay and slept under a broom tree, suddenly an angel touched him, and said to him, "Arise and eat."
(1 Kings 19:5).

In the devotional passage, Elijah was running for his life from Jezebel. He went into the desert and sat under one of the few trees that provided shade. There he wished to die.

Life is like that sometimes- full of dark moments and seemingly void of God. I can remember a particular dark moment in my own life. I had a two week old baby and no job. I searched desperately for gainful employment in order to take care of my family but to no avail.

Sometimes, we are nomads in our own deserts wandering, searching for God in this madness we call life. Yet, the Lord says to us, as He did Elijah, "Get up and eat." In other words, we should not let the circumstances of this life consume us to the point of despair. God is still among us and will sustain us if we but ask.

Lord, may I remember to arise and eat in times of darkness and to remember Your unconditional love for me.