Friday, September 21, 2007

September 22

God Forgives

The Repentant
Psalm 51:1-7

Read the Bible through:
AM -
Isaiah 40-41 : PM - 2 Corinthians 11

Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin
(Psalm 51:2).

My grandmother lived around the block from us when I was a child. I can remember playing in the alley behind her house when I stayed with her. She would call me in for lunch or dinner and stop me at the back door with a big washcloth.

She took that wet cloth and scrubbed me until she was satisfied I was germfree. Some of the dirt came off easily. Other stains were more difficult and painful to clean. Despite the difficulty and pain, I could only sit at the dinner table after my grandmother gave me the all-clean signal. I have to admit, the food tasted better without all that grit, too.

Repentance can sometimes be a painful process. Heb. 12:11 says, "Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it." God wants the best for us and offers to clean us up. Take time today to ask God for a special washing.

Father, cleanse me and make me fit for Your Table.