Tuesday, December 11, 2007

December 12, 2007

Seeking Faithful Obedience

The Duty of Man
Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

Read the Bible through:
AM –
Amos 1-2 : PM – Revelation 3

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man's all" (Eccl. 12:13).

I still remember the words from 50 years ago: “On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the scout Law.” As a part of the Boy Scout oath, I recited these words at every troop meeting. They were a guide for my conduct as a Scout, and they reminded me that I had a “duty’ both to God and to my country.

We often hear about our duty to our country, but we don’t hear as much about our duty to God. A “duty” is an obligation, something we must do. Obeying God’s commandments will not make us right with Him – that comes only through faith in Jesus Christ. Even so, everyone who has a right relationship with God has an obligation to obey His word.

Jesus said, “If you love me keep my commandments” (John 14;15). How are your doing at fulfilling your duty?

Lord, lead me to obey You as evidence of my love for You.