Friday, July 6, 2007

July 7

God Wants Me to Do What Is Right

In leading others
2 Kings 23:1-3

Read the Bible through:
AM -
Nehemiah 4-6 : PM - Acts 6

Then the king stood by a pillar and made a covenant before the LORD, to follow the LORD and to keep His commandments and His testimonies and His statutes, with all his heart and all his soul, to perform the words of this covenant that were written in this book. And all the people took a stand for the covenant
(2 Kings 23:3).

Most people tend to follow the attitudes and actions of their leaders. While previous kings had led the people into sin, good King Josiah led the people to reverence God's Word. The people responded in a revival that swept the land.

I have preached the gospel for 44 years, always aware people are watching me. Perhaps my most humbling experience came when a little boy said, "Brother Johnny, you must be just like Jesus." With tears in my eyes, I had to reply, "No, no, Son, I'm not very much like Jesus at all." And I'm not, although I'm hopefully becoming more like Him in my "golden years."

There is probably someone like that boy in your life.

Father, help me to be mindful of my leadership influence on others for good or bad.