Wednesday, July 25, 2007

July 26

God Wants Me to Be Under Control

When Tempted
Daniel 1:5-8

Read the Bible through:
AM -
Job 40-42 : PM - Acts 19:1-20

But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's delicacies, nor with the wine which he drank; therefore he requested of the chief of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself
(Dan. 1:8)

Daniel and his companions were all given new names to help them assimilate into their new culture.

When Daniel "purposed" not to defile himself, he was being true to a lifelong commitment to do what was right and not give in to temptation. Without some resolve, it is very easy to succumb to the enticement of the moment. We are constantly assailed by Satan to compromise our convictions and become more like the world around us.

Decisions made while I was a teenager not to get involved with drugs or to subject myself to the sexual morales of this world were important. I had already decided where to draw the line. Thus, when these temptations came, I was prepared to say no.

Father, in a day when it is so easy to compromise, help me stand by my convictions.