Thursday, May 10, 2007

May 9

Ministry in Natural Disaster
When the winds are contrary
Acts 27:1-4

Read the Bible through:
AM - 2 Samuel 21-22 PM -Luke 16:1-18

When we had put to sea from there, we sailed under the shelter of Cyprus, because the winds were contrary.
(Acts 27:4).

The paper sack I was carrying ripped and spilled several hundred pamphlets over the parking lot of the football stadium. A gentle breeze caught a few flyers. I chased fluttering paper around the parking lot for several minutes. My breeze was merely inconvenient. Yet some winds totally change our direction.

Paul was a prisoner. He had been arrested at Jerusalem when Jewish leaders believed he taught against the law and brought Greeks into the temple. Because he appealed to Caesar, Agrippa started Paul on his journey to Rome. A contrary wind encouraged the ship's crew to sail along the coast, protected by the island of Cyprus.

I also prefer smooth seas in my voyage through life. Sometimes, though, unexpected events thrust me into new territory. Still, my Savior is present. With Jesus, I can minister to fellow travelers in the storms of life.

Father, thank You for guiding me through the storms of life.