Monday, May 7, 2007

May 5

Ministry in Physical Crisis
A powerful savior
Mark 5:35-43

Read the Bible through:
AM - 2 Samuel 13-14 PM -Luke 13:18-35

As soon as Jesus heard the word that was spoken, He said to the ruler of the synagogue, "Do not be afraid; only believe."
(Mark 5:36).

Nothing shatters lives like critical illnesses, debilitating accidents, or crippling conditions. In my ministry I have met people suffering from various infirmities, such as cancer, stroke, and Alzheimer's disease. Each patient loses some basic abilities. Daily living becomes a tremendous challenge.

In addition, physical suffering stirs up heart-wrenching fears - fear of disability, fear of dependence, and fear of death. The Bible says that God can deliver us from our fears (Ps. 34:4).

Caregivers also need to believe in Christ's power. Daily they bear a tremendous burden - physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I know of a woman who lovingly cared for her husband for eight years. He was as dependent as a child. When asked how she did it, she replied: "God gave me the strength I needed for each day. I couldn't have done it without Him." Hers is an inspiring testimony of God's power.

Help me, Lord, to conquer my fears