Monday, August 25, 2008

August 26, 2008

FORGIVING ONE ANOTHER

Read the Bible through:
AM –
Pro. 4-6 : PM – Rom. 16
APPEAL FOR FORGIVENESS
Genesis 50:16-17

17 "I beg you, please forgive the trespass of your brothers and their sin; for they did evil to you." Now, please, forgive the trespass of the servants of the God of your father." And Joseph wept when they spoke to him.

Do you ever find it hard to say the words “forgive me?” The words are actually pretty simple, so why do we sometimes struggle in getting them out of our mouths? Maybe it’s because saying them is part of admitting we have done something wrong. I don’t know about you, but I hate admitting I am wrong.

Joseph’s brother had done a terrible thing to Joseph and then allowed many years to pass without trying to make it right. Today’s bible passage tells of their conversation with Joseph when they asked his forgiveness. Joseph wept when he heard their request.

As difficult as it might be sometimes to say the words “forgive me,” they must be a part of our conversation. If we cannot say these words and have the heart attitude to back them up, then our relationships with other people and with God can never be complete. Is there someone who needs to hear you say, “Please forgive me”?

Lord, help me to seek forgiveness quickly when it is needed.