Thursday, June 28, 2007

June 29

God Wants Me to Be Kind

Seeking to help others
Read the Bible through:
And he said to him, "Say now to her, 'Look, you have been concerned for us with all this care. What can I do for you? Do you want me to speak on your behalf to the king or to the commander of the army?'" She answered, "I dwell among my own people." (2 Kings 4:13).


On Memorial Day weekend, 1957, a young couple in our neighborhood was involved in a tragic automobile wreck. Both parents were badly hurt, but the baby was miraculously unharmed. That's when my grandmother stepped forth and volunteered to care for the baby until the parents were back on their feet.

She called on all our neighbors and gathered the items she would need for the baby's care.

She cared for that baby for several weeks. Time passed, and the parents were well enough to go home. It was a sad day when we packed up all that little boys things. We watched them drive away and never heard from them again. But my grandmother often spoke of the blessings she received while she looked after little Jimmy.

The Shunammite woman had no agenda to help Elisha, and my grandmother had none either. Both women's motive was to help someone in God's name.

Lord, give me courage to help others in Your name.